Monday, July 9, 2007

Nature's Art


A few months ago, I went to look at the smiley that I'd previously made from field stones. To my surprise, I could no longer see the stone smiley because the grass in and around it had grown to nearly 4 feet tall. Anyway, I'm fascinated with the symmetry that can be seen in nature, and I picked a bunch of the grass specifically the stalks, thinking that it would make an interesting smiley.

Besides stalks of wheat or grass, some of my other favorite things to look at are: turtle shells, octopus tentacles (the suckers are so cool), a multi layered zinnia, sea urchins, the inside of a kiwi (the fruit, not the New Zealander) fish scales, and fiddlehead ferns.

2 comments:

David Andrew Remington said...

Nice!! You're holding back on us... you have all sorts of good smiley picks that you keep in your vault... until someone razz's you about not keeping your blog up to date. Pretty sneaky, Pierce...

Anonymous said...

I like your earthy smiley face. My God, how long did it take for you to arrange them? Were you a wren in your former life?

Now all you need is a goat to hoover it up.