Monday, March 19, 2007

Lifelist Item #12


With the encouragement of a friend, I created a life list on Monday July 14, 2003. I know the exact date because my list was written on the back of one of those daily menus that you get in a dark, windowless pub. Once completed, I placed my life list in a pocket within my wallet and it has remained there ever since. I have pulled it out now and again and I laugh each time I read item #7 - Swim with Dolphins. If I were still 12 years old, this might be cool, but at 41, it's a little dorky. I shake my head every time I read item #4 - Visit every continent. How much alcohol could I have drank to make me think that this would be desirable? Why would anyone want to go to Antarctica... a place where your eyeballs can freeze within seconds? But then I get to item #8 - Go to the symphony, and I think, why haven't I done that yet? Similarly, I still want to do item #5 - Speak a foreign language fluently. (but I don't even know where my German Cd's are anymore)... Anyway, when I peruse my list, I see that in between the crazy, alcohol induced items, I still have some legitimate items that I want to complete, even if I have to cheat just a smidge.

Before I go on, I'd better back up a little and be clear; this blog isn't about my life list, but it does have to do with an item on my life list. More specifically, this blog will help me to complete item #12 - Create a piece of art that is recognized by the public.

How will this blog help me to complete Item #12?
Well, first and foremost, this is a public blog containing artistic things made by moi...

Secondly, I live in a newer sub that's located out in the country and only a third of the homes have been built so far. There's still a wide open field in the back of the sub and my family enjoys using this space to walk our dog and to allow our child to live-out some of his boyish adventures.

This area has rolling hills, a sprinkling of trees, large holes the size of a pond, and a kazillion rocks poking out of the ground. It's a fun place to explore, no matter the age and someone with a creative mind and a little time on their hands could if they so desired, create some fun eco-art with nothing but rocks and a large swath of grass. Perhaps a giant smiley face is just what the neighbors ordered.

My smiley face is located on a small hill and it's sort of a work-in-progress. I made it in one day, then I thought that it should be bigger, so I made it twice as big the next day. I still think it needs to be bigger, but for today, I'm satisfied and now that pictures of it are in my blog... I think I can check off Item #12... It may not be art to all, but surely to some, if only to my family and I.

What's Next?
I'll continue to make artistic stuff in the shape of a smiley face and I'll write short snipits to go with the image. My hope is that future posts will contain various images of smiley faces, some that I've made, some that are the courtesy of others. Some smileys will be significant in size, some may have an unusual location. Some faces may be detailed, others will be simplistic, but all will be smiling.

1 comment:

JPF said...

Duckie,
I forget how much fun you are to have around.

JPF