Monday, March 26, 2007

Addicted to Dissections


Being a Jigsaw puzzle addict, I can sit and put a puzzle together for hours without ever getting bored and sometimes when I go to sleep at night, I dream of sorting pieces by colors or shapes. When I have a puzzle going, I’ll often work on it when I should be doing other things like showering, eating or sleeping and my mantra becomes “I just want to find one more match.”

Once the puzzle is finished, I feel a bit of accomplishment followed by the compulsive desire to start another one as soon as possible. After going through a few days of withdrawal I can sometimes kick the habit for a couple of weeks, maybe even a month, but eventually my puzzle obsession wins over and I become preoccupied with looking for my next score. At first I'll only talk about working on a puzzle that I already own and have completed before, but then I'll fall completely off the wagon and find myself making any excuse to go to a store with a toy isle. Once I have my $4.00 fix (I’m a cheap addict), I head for home and the sorting begins.

It’s comforting to know that I’m not alone in my habit. There are many others like me and you’ve probably seen one or two without knowing. The next time you go to Denny’s, Applebee’s or Red Robin look for the fairly normal person sorting sugar packets. The act of sorting sugar packets alone doesn’t really prove anything, but if you see them carefully arranging the packets until they fit together perfectly … you may want to run.

Interesting tidbits about the Jigsaw Puzzle:
The first Jigsaw puzzle was created around 1760 and back then they were called Dissections. The term Jigsaw puzzle did not come about until around 1880.

Jigsaw puzzles were primarily used as a teaching aid until about 1820.

Working on a Jigsaw puzzle is an excellent way to reduce stress.

No comments: