Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Ad

Last week I was looking at the want ads on Craig's List (http://www.craigslist.org/) and I found one that has my imagination in over-drive. While I'm not interested in responding to the ad, I can't seem to let it go. I keep thinking about it and wondering what the heck...

I have talked about the ad with my husband, my friends and my family. After reiterating the ad quite a few times I've discovered that what makes the ad so questionable are some of the words used to describe the ideal candidate. Although my husband, friends and family all agree that the ad is odd, we do not agree on which words make it that way. And, it's worth noting that the words alone don't raise any flags, but when they are paired within a sentence or two, they seem to elicit something more sinister, kinky or abnormal.


The words: Open-minded, Unusual and Unique are very interesting and by themselves they bring forth good feelings. But when paired with $25.00 per hour, 4-5 hours, twice a month, I'm starting to think what kind of kink fest is this? At this point I am imagining a freaky old man who has a baby fetish and wants to wear diapers - Jerry Springer style.

The easy solution to this mystery would be to respond to the ad and request more information (as some of my friends have suggested), but in truth, I like the mystery of not knowing. Besides, if I did know, there's a chance that I would be greatly disappointed and perhaps a bit sheepish, plus I'd miss out on the entertainment value created by my over-active imagination.

So, without further adieu, here's the ad... you be the judge.

The Ad
I am looking for someone with the following traits for a unique in-home childcare/healthcare situation: ideal age of 45-60, intelligent, compassionate, open-minded, nursing or health care field a plus. The pay is negotiable but is around $25 per hour. This would be about 10 hours a month total, with the person coming to the home twice a month for about 4-5 hours each time. Please contact me if you have any of these traits and I will explain further what makes it so unusual and unique.
------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn it! Can't a guy post an ad without some amateur psychologist/psychiatrist/psychotherapist dissecting it? I mean hell, all I want is to have a couple of carefree days during the month. Sometimes it's a bitch being single. I have to do everything:go to work, do the laundry, make the bed, grocery shop, target shop, cook, wash dishes, vacuum, dust, wash the windows, spring cleaning, exercise, socialize, fall cleaning, shovel snow, cut the lawn(okay, the weeds) clean out the garage, drink all the beer(okay that one doesn't suck) and pay the bills. I just want to wake up a couple Saturdays a month and do nothing but be coddled.

Figure that one out.

Love ya guys!

David Andrew Remington said...

You say "kink fest" like it's a bad thing! :)