Thursday, January 10, 2008

Self Analysis



A little more than a year ago, I made a New Year's resolution that was the catalyst to this blog. More than 365 days have flown by and I only have 19 posts to show for it. That's a puny 1.58 posts per month. So naturally the lack of posts and the length of time between posts raises a few questions like, am I enjoying this experience or has it become a chore? Should I throw in the towel or change gears?

I'm feeling a little conflicted about whether or not I enjoy blogging. Writing is not a natural, effortless task for me and I find that it takes a lot of time to put something out there that is both enjoyable to read and well written - especially when I cannot commit to a few words, let alone an entire sentence. I spent half the day writing, reading, and rewriting before satisfying my inner critic and still, I probably won't hit the publish button until tomorrow. It's time for a little exercise in self analysis via an honest conversation with my inner psyche.

Question: Do you enjoy writing?
Id: Not really.
Ego: Yes.
Super Ego: That depends. Who is going to read what I write and will they criticize me? While Id is spontanious and Ego is proud, I'm restrained. I have to hold us back because I'm afraid of the truth. What if we have some misconceived notions about how well we write? Knowing the truth could bring us joy, or it could hurt. We may never know as long as I'm in charge...
Question: Id, why don't you enjoy writing?
Id: Writing something that is both enjoyable and well-organized takes a lot of concentrated thinking. Staying on topic is not in my nature. Also, Super Ego is over protective and won't let ID or Ego write what they want. Super Ego is a bit of a perfectionist and scrutinizes everything. What Super Ego fails to recognize is that a simple task becomes a chore when it requires more than 30 minutes of focused thought.
Question: Ego, why do you enjoy writing?
Ego: Because it gives me a sense of accomplishment. When we finally get to hit the publish button, you can believe that it's because we are all pleased with our work and we want to share it.

Today's Analysis:


  • 'Id' likes instant gratification and has a difficult time when having to think for more than 30 minutes.

  • 'Ego' doesn't mind thinking as long as it leads to a result.

  • 'Super Ego' spends so much time editing that very little gets published.


Next Steps:


  • Concentrate on one thing - either the story or the art. Forcing yourself to do both is a super ego stall tactic.

  • Get a timer and only write for 30 minutes. Once the bell dings, hit the publish button.

  • On the next day re-read your post and if super ego wants, let him edit, but only for 30 minutes or less.

  • Do a follow-up post one month from now.

No comments: